Spider veins are one of the most common vein problems that our vein specialist treats on a regular basis. Spider veins are characterized by thin clusters of red, purple, or blue veins that appear on the ankles, calves, and thighs. Spider veins can also appear on the face and chest due to sun damage.
Spider veins are more prevalent than varicose veins. In fact, the vast majority of people with spider veins do not have varicose veins. Conversely, the pressure associated with varicose veins often leads to the development of spider vein clusters.
Bulging veins on your legs may manifest as unsightly varicose veins at the top and spider veins at the bottom of the leg. You should visit your Los Angeles vein specialist to diagnose the vein disorder and create a treatment plan with long-term results.
Veins are the blood vessels that carry deoxygenated blood from all parts of the body and organs back to the heart so it can replenished with oxygen and nutrition to keep your body healthy and fully functional. But the veins carrying blood from your legs have to perform their duty against gravity with the help of muscles around them.
About 90 percent of the blood in the veins is carried by the deep veins that are lie deep within the skin. The connecting and superficial veins carry the remaining 10 percent from tissues close to the surface of the skin, and are usually visible through the skin. When the deep veins in your legs have challenges getting blood to your heart, it starts pooling in the superficial veins and causes them to enlarge.
These veins become even more visible on the surface of the leg, resulting in unsightly problems such as:
For some, spider veins can become noticeable at a quite a young age depending on a number of factors, including:
In addition to these physical signs of leg vein disorder, you may also experience other symptoms such as muscle cramps (mostly at night), swollen feet and ankles, pain and heaviness in the legs, burning sensation in the legs, and even lower leg ulceration, skin dermatitis, and skin discoloration in advanced cases.
Fortunately, our vein specialist in Los Angeles offers effective, safe, and painless spider vein treatment options. On your first visit, we will perform a comprehensive evaluation to establish the extent of your venous problem, and then suggest one of these treatments:
While visible leg veins are not life threatening, it is still important to restore healthy circulation to your legs to manage the symptoms and for cosmetic improvement. Your Camarillo vein doctor will access the health of your leg veins using visual inspection and ultrasound diagnostic tests to determine whether medical intervention is necessary.
A Venous Duplex Ultrasound exam is used to map the normal and abnormal veins in your legs, which helps to determine the cause, extent, and severity of the problem. Those with a family history of blood clots may require additional tests.
There are different treatments for visible leg veins depending on the nature and severity of the disorder. While ‘lifestyle’ adjustments such as walking, raising your legs regularly during the day, wearing loose clothing and flat shows, taking dietary supplements and medications help to manage the symptoms, their effects are short-lived and do not necessarily prevent the progression of underlying venous conditions.
Spider veins are generally harmless and painless. If your spider veins have symptoms, or if you are concerned about their appearance, you should schedule a consultation with your Vein Specialist to discuss your options either by contacting us online here or by calling us @ 1.844.77.VEINS.
Dr. Haimesh Shah provides spider vein treatment in Los Angeles & Ventura Counties with multiple convenient locations to serve you.
I have only had great experiences here. Dr. Shah and his staff are very friendly I only wish they did more than this, I would highly recommend him to anyone I feel and look amazing!- Christina R
2017-07-11Great doctor and wonderful staff-highly recommended!- Bill G
2017-07-10Es una persona muy amable y muy cuidadoso en su trabajo, y el personal que trabaja con el es muy profesional, me siento cómoda y segura cuando yo tengo que ir alguna cita.- Helena G.
2017-06-26Felt great and accomplished with the results. Thank you Dr Shah and staff- Dulce S
2017-07-03Dr. and staff are great. Very efficient staff.- Marisela M
2017-07-17Staff is thorough and friendly, very explanatory of what they are doing during procedure, helpful!!- Celeste C
Center for Vein Wellness Locations:
Ventura Location2991 Loma Vista Rd., Suite A103
Ventura, CA 93003
Oxnard Location331 South C St., Suite A
Oxnard, CA 93030
Camarillo Location2460 N. Ponderosa Dr., Suite A101
Camarillo, CA 93010
Woodland Hills23164 Ventura Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
Simi Valley125 Parrot Ln.
Simi Valley, CA 93065
Thousand Oaks415 Rolling Oaks Dr., Suite 250
Thousand Oaks, CA 91361