Foam sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive treatment for spider veins. The procedure takes place in-office, and you can walk out right after the treatment and resume your normal activities immediately. But if your job involves prolonged standing or driving, or if both your legs were treated at the same, you may need a few days off.
Here’s what to Expect:
On the day of the procedure
After your sclerotherapy treatment with Dr. Shah, you can expect the following:
- The treated leg will be bandaged from the foot to the top of the treated vein
- Your blood pressure and bandages will be checked
- You will be given custom compression stockings
- You will receive a prescription for any pain relievers that you need
- You will be given a discharge letter
The treatment is not painful, and you should be able to walk out of the center about 30-minutes after the procedure. However, it is best that you get someone else to drive you home or to work for the next 48 hours.
The Following Day
On the following day of your treatment, the local anaesthetic will have worn off, so the bandaged leg will feel a little uncomfortable. It will also be slightly swollen. Just take your painkillers prescription as directed for the first few days.
The Second Day
You should remove the bandage after 24 hours and gauze and wear the compression stockings during the day for the next two weeks. Remove the stockings when taking a bath and going to bed.
- Although the stockings may feel tight and uncomfortable, it is important that you wear them correctly to optimize the results of the procedure.
- Try to walk as normally as possible to keep blood flowing properly
- Avoid strenuous work or exercise for the first few days, and gradually build up the amount you need to do
- Avoid driving for at least 48 hours
- Avoid flying long haul (more than 4 hours flights) for at least 4 weeks after the procedure as it increases the risk of deep vein thrombosis
When to contact us
If you have any concerns about sclerotherapy or treating your varicose veins, please contact the Center for Vein Wellness.